Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Missing the fall foliage I love so much...


This is the strangest fall. There is virtually none of the beautiful foliage New England is known for. No big red tree in my neighbor's back yard that I usually se from my office window. No ribbons of oranges and yellows along the back roads and highways. Just drab brown leaves dropping everywhere.

I miss the color. It's one of my absolutely favorite things about living here. But it's not to be this year. I've heard it's because of hurricane/tropical storm Irene that blew a layer of salty mist onto the leaves. Don't know if that's the reason but I've heard it from so many sources it must be true. I always thought of fall as the gift for having to give up summer...but that gift is different this year...not wrapped as beautifully as usual.

Whatever the reason, I miss it. Made me wonder what else I'd miss if it didn't show up for some reason. We are all so busy, we take of lot of people and things for granted. Maybe we need to pay just a bit more attention - not every minute - who has that kind of time? Pay attention to the people who make us smile, the places we love, the weather, the job, our health, our home. Pay attention and say thanks in whatever way works - a prayer, a thought, a smile.

So thank you foliage for all the great autumn colors over the years. See you next year!

PS...If you're an Oprah fan, she's running a great Life Class every night on creating your best life. Check it out... I'm enjoying reinforcing some of the ideas that are in my Strategies for Success program and always like seeing things a new way!

No comments: