Sunday, October 9, 2011

Choice - overwhelm vs. simplicity

I don't know about you but every now and then I feel overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by the amount of things that can go wrong in a short period of time, overwhelmed by the onslaught of news (or as I always call it the Top Ten Horrible Things That Happened Yesterday), overwhelmed by all the choices we have for everything.

It used to be simple to buy something. You'd go to the local store and buy it. The end. Now you check every conceivable website. Then you see if the store has a coupon. Then you check Craigslist, EBay and ask everyone. Finally you make the purchase only to find out that it's onsale the next week or that the thing you just bought is obsolete. Whew! Exhausting! And that's just for one thing. We have so many products in our lives now that task gets mulitiped big time!

Even the choices on TV can seem overwhelming - so many channels 24/7 plus On Demand, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, DvD's and BluRays. All the news shows, the games, the dramas. Who has that much time? Yup,lots of choice. I've tried to DVR my favorites but even working from home, there's not enough time to watch them. Besides who needs another thing on their to-do list?

So my apologies to the writers and actors of some of the promising new shows. As an actor, I appreciate your work but I can't watch. To some of my old favorites (Except anything with Oprah herself, CBS Sunday Morning, and my guilty pleasure, Project Runway - I love to watch people create), I must say goodbye.

21st century, you've given me too many choices and as delightful as many of them are, as grateful as I am for the incredible abundance of our time, I choose to opt for less choice and more simplicity because anything else could mean stress. I choose not to be a slave to the onslaught of media and businesses vying for my attention and dollars.

If I need something, I'll buy it the most logical, convenient place. I will allow a new TV show only if I give another one up. I won't take on a new business idea until I wrap up an old one or at least until it's running on its own online.

Ah...choosing simplicity is soooo nice!

No comments: