Tuesday, October 11, 2011

How we can help save a government institution

I'm concerned that many of the things we rely on are slowing disappearing, usually because they're replaced with a technological alternative. I'm not opposed to progress and agree that some things are better served with the newer products.

Take mail. Email has pretty much eliminated most of the mail we used to send. Bills now may arrive online which is great for the environment. But our postal system is struggling...and may not be there when we need it if we all don't do our part to save it.

Yes, I said 'our' part. Not the government's part because these days, we don't need another government solution. It's our country, our postal service. Why not try to save it ourselves? I have an idea which may or may not work (might be better than the alternative now which is for companies to mail out more catalogs).

Send someone a greeting card, thank you card or personal note once a month. Postage per card is 44cents. Card's can be found relatively cheaply or even made at home. Notes are just paper and an envelope. It's not a huge financial burden to most people, although I know some are hurting right now in the pocketbook but this small act multipied by lots of us, it can certainly help. I did a variation of this in 2008 when the economy was first struggling. I made sure I stopped by all my favorite vendors and bought something small. I didn’t want them to not be there when I wanted them so I made sure that I was a small part of keeping them afloat.

Here's why I like this idea:
• Writing a handwritten note shows that you took extra time to make that person feel special and who wouldn’t want that? People save those and cherish them. No one cherishes an email.

• In business, one should always write a thank you note for an interview, for a promotion, for getting a job. But how many actually do? This would give someone this chance to do the right thing. An employer might look at you in a different way if you took the time to say thanks with a card.

• A card sent could be funny, cheer someone up who needs it, shows you care. Moms and grandmas are especially good potential recipients but there’s a whole list of people who would love to be reminded that someone is thinking of them.

• It doesn’t take long or cost much but the feelings that it leaves behind can last a long time

• Research shows that simple acts of kindness not only make the giver feel better but it also does the same for the recipient. Actually raises serotonin in the brain (the feel good chemical) and gives a boost to the immune system

You’ll know that you did your part in trying to save an institution that although slow at times still has great benefits – personal service right to your door. I’d hate for that to disappear replaced by yet another email or Facebook generic “Happy Birthday”.

Let’s pick a day of the month for ‘Save the Postal System Day” – how about the 15th? Go while out on an errand already (saves gas), grab a card and send someone a big surprise. And send this posting to everyone you know. How cool would it be that we the people actually saved the postal system!

PS…no one to send it to? Send it to me at PO Box 356, Barrington, RI 02806 – no junk mail please, just positive notes to make my day!

No comments: