Monday, January 24, 2011

Thanks for the lights!

As you can see from the date on this posting, we are well past the holiday season. As I've driven around lately in this snowy New England countryside, I've noticed that some people have not yet taken down their holiday decorations. Twinkling amid the snow covered shrubs are beautiful lights that are really putting a smile on my face. Is it a kindred spirit for fellow procrastinators? I don't think so. I think it's an appreciation of the fact that the holiday passes by so quickly that we don't get enough of a chance to enjoy the beauty around us.

Winter is especially dreary this year, maybe becuase it's so cold (-5 today here not counting wind chill and this is a coastal state which is usually warmer!) and there's so much snow piling up with more coming. Having some sparkle around is really nice and I'm very grateful that there are several houses still displaying their holiday glory. It's mostly just lights out there - no mangers, no Santas - and that's just perfect for dreary winter.

We have so little sunlight this time of year that we need to have something special for all that darkness. Conservation concerns aside for a minute, maybe we ought to think about stretching out those decorations a bit longer each year - maybe all the way up to Valentine's day. Thoughts?

And maybe we need to do a little extra to shine in these dark, cold times. My cousin Val, the Queen of all things glitter, is my reminder to always add some shine to life. Let's shine a little bit more if possible this winter and share a little bit of the warmth that we all need!

PS...if you want to help a great organization, please check out the auction for Meeting Street School that ends this Saturday. I donated some of my Oprah's Favorite Things candles to the cause!

No comments: