Thursday, January 27, 2011

A new weather normal


With piles of snow at the end of the driveway over 3 feet tall, it's time to look at winter a new way. This is the third storm in a week (or is it four, I've lost count) and it's only late January. What does it all mean?

A scientist on the Today show today said that most scientists believe it's global warming which doesn't mean it's warmer (that's for sure) but that there is more moisture - which makes warmer,more humid summers and snowier winters. And that we'd better get used to it.

So it's a new world. What do we do about it? Complain. I suppose but doesn't make me feel better. Go with the flow, of course. We can't fight weather, not yet anyway. So we either have to go with the flow or look at it a new way. One of Dr. Wayne Dyer's favorite quote is, "When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

When we take action about circumstances over which we have no control, we change everything. We need to look at the weather a new way. I know it's something I did years ago when I skied. I enjoyed winter because of the beautiful ski areas I got to go to. I don't ski now so I need to find new things to like about all this.

Like what, you say?
- realize that I can get a lot of work done on my business because it's too cold, too icy, to dark to go out much. I always want to play hooky in nice weather.
- as an entreprenuer, I can look at ways to make money with this weather (think of all those who are profiting from this weather)
- I can contemplate if I want to continue to live here or move somewhere warmer
- I can think about the things that are good in the winter - lack of bugs (OK, I'm a sissy girl), hot chocolate and stew, covers, good movies on Netflix

Bottom line is we have to decide what to make of this new normal. If we choose our reaction and plan for what's coming, we'll have a much better handle when the next snowy blast strikes!

Stay warm and watch out for black ice!

No comments: