Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Oprah...Air France..

Hi Everyone!

More random thoughts.

First of all, my deep sympathies to the friends and families of those on the Air France flight that disappeared over the Atlantic this week. We're lucky that air travel has become so safe but every now and then, a series of events causes an event such as this. In my training to be a pilot, we were always told that accidents were always a series of circumstances rather than one issue. They'll probably find that's the case here as well. I hope it doesn't turn you away from flying. If you have a fear of flying, I highly recommend the letter I got from retired Captain Tom Bunn reading this article from a former airline captain who helps people overcome this fear.

Second, as I mentioned last week, I did end up on Oprah.com!! If you want to check that out, click here. I'm pretty excited about being there. And I'm even more grateful that they allowed me to post a link to my leadership/success site. I'm not sure where this will take me next, but if it let's more teens learn the strategies in this program so that they can design great lives for themselves, then my goal is getting closer every day!

Next, a former student had a description of what a teacher makes which really was wonderful. I don't know where it came from so I can't credit anyone in particular. If you've ever heard the phrase, "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach," and maybe even a little piece of you believed it about teachers, then read this story. The bottom line is no one really knows what someone else's job is like so it wouldn't hurt for all of us to be a bit more understanding and appreciative of what we all do. We need all the different occupations that are out there...and treating each person with value can only improve the situation.

One final thing. We take so much for granted especially our senses and our health. I do my best to note a few thing I'm grateful for each night (well every couple of nights). Today it's for my vision. Why? I was sorting through some old beauty products this morning when one of them exploded literally right in front of my eyes. Made of a variety of alchohol based products, it burned upon contact. Luckly I was able to splash water on it and get an eye doctor to check me out. Seems no permanent damage has been done. Talk about gratitude. What simple - or not so simple - thing are you grateful for???

'See' you next week!

PS...Women who want to see movies made for women need to go see the new movie by Nia Vardalos "My Life in Ruins". Why? Because the studios say that women don't go see movies so they shouldn't make any for us. Again...we need some for all of us. Grab your friends and support the movie if you so desire! (No, I'm not in it!)

No comments: