Thursday, February 12, 2009

What have you forgotten?

A friend let me pick out a book as part of my birthday present. I found one titled
101 Things You Already Knew But Had Forgotten which I really liked. That title made sense to me. We all know so much these days. It's really easy to forget the simple lessons that get pushed into the background, lessons that could really help us get through each day a little easier and happier.

I got reminded of that lesson twice today unexpectedly. First, I was sitting by the water today editing the Strategies of Success textbook I wrote a few years ago so that I have a more updated version. I was reading one of the lessons that I wrote and that I had taught over 20 times, the one about physiology. How we hold our bodies partly determines how we feel. Ok...yeah, I remembered that but didn't really focus on it.

Later in the day, I got a phone call from an old friend who lives far away. We hadn't seen each other in a long time and I felt the loss. I also read a pretty negative article which made me feel less than peppy. Between those two events and a few other issues that came along, I was not having the happiest of afternoons. But then I came into my living room and put on the TV. One of my favorite old movies was on - a musical - and I started watching it. I grabbed my mini-trampoline (yes, I bounce around for exercise - just not too high because I have a low ceiling and there's no point in knocking myself unconscious). Between those two activities, I began to feel better. Not just a little better...a lot better. Why? Two reasons - I had changed my physiology by bouncing and had set myself up with a movie that always made me feel good. I had forgotten that I have these tools on hand whenever I need them. I may have studied this, taught this to teens, written about it...but I forgot it. And it's so easy to do.

Feeling low? Take a minute and remember what makes you happy and find a way to experience it, if only for a few moments. And find a way to move..change that physiology...get the body moving...and you'll be amazed how different you feel.

ps...My thoughts and prayers to my Australian friends on this email list as you deal with the terrible fires that have swept through your country.

pps...Don't forget to check the Survive & Thrive page on my website. I'm adding new links to help you do both in these tough times. You can find them on my Horizon4Success website by clicking here.

No comments: