Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A time for gratitude and kindness this Thanksgiving season

What to write about this week?  Seems the logical thing would be gratitude since we're only two days away from Thanksgiving.  But I write about that often.  I think we need to focus on gratitude daily not just once a year so I won't write about that.

How about kindness? I write about that a lot too.  Something that I believe we ought to practice daily as well.  I love one of Wayne Dyer's comments about kindness which might be helpful as families gather this Thanksgiving.  To paraphrase the good Dr. Dyer, he says that given a choice of being right or being kind, choose to be kind.  So when that talkative relative needs to be right on some issue this Thursday, let them be.  If they're really insistent about being right, they must really need the feeling, so choose kindness and let them have it or else you could end up in a fight and really let them have it! 

How about slowing down and being in the moment?  Probably wrote about that sometime too but there's something to be said about paying a little bit more attention to what we're doing whether it's making a favorite recipe, interacting with someone at a store, or driving on a last minute errand.  Slowing down mentally (and for some, that includes on the road) might give us the breathing space we need at this hectic time to be think about the gratitude and the kindness, to leave space to enjoy all that comes with a big holiday.

I hope to do all of the above this Thanksgiving week- to slow down, pay attention to those around me, look for things to be grateful for (and despite the challenging times, there's still plenty), to be kind.  To remember those we lost this year who we miss dearly, to cherish the ones who remain.  To enjoy the good food (I don't have to cook so I know it will be good!), the stories, the games, the laughter..

I wish the same and more for you!  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

No comments: