Wednesday, November 16, 2011

One year ago today...

I got an early text from my wonderful cousin Valerie this morning wishing me "Happy Oprah Anniversary!"  An unusual greeting for most people but for us, it has special meaning because one year ago today we were lucky enough to be in the audience for the last "Favorite Things" on the Oprah Winfrey Show.  (We're the 2 in the upper left)

So yes, we got a whole bunch of things and even better memories of our time with Oprah and her incredible staff.  But what I want to focus on most today is that we can't predict when a wonderful experience is just around the corner (same is true for negative ones but who wants to think or worry about those?). 

My cousin got the invitation for the show unexpectedly.  Yes, she had submitted information to the show in hopes of being invited but the chances are so slim.  And we almost didn't go because she was scheduled to babysit her grandson.  We had no idea what it would be about...but we did have a sneaking suspicion that it was going to be Favorite Things..  

If you're dragging yourself around in these challenging times, if you're bemoaning the lack of sunlight on these shortened days (dark at 4:30 pm - really??), if you're dealing with a difficult situation of some sort, how about opening your mind to the possibility that something great and unexpected is about to happen for you?  Rather than asking yourself a question like, "Why does everything bad happen to me?" or saying "This is going to be a horrible day", consider asking, "What great thing is going to happen next?"

I know this sounds simplistic and somewhat impossible perhaps, but I've had great luck with choosing to say something positive and have it followed by things working out pretty well.  From parking spaces to people I haven't seen in a long time to Oprah's Favorite Things (which I have to admit I hoped for once we got invited), good things have come my way on a pretty regular basis.  And I believe the same can happen for you...  Whether they happen or not, sure beats choosing to focus on all the negativity and worry.   

If you could use an in-person positive boost, please join me at one of my local free one hour seminars - "How to Thrive in Rocky Times" .  Space is limited so sign up early. Great break from the craziness of the holiday season.  Ideal for whole families, ages 13 and up!

No comments: